We all need to hear the truth—and take it to heart. Truth brings freedom, and without it we are caught up in a web of deceit. Here are 25 Bible passages about truth (all Scripture quotations are from the English Standard Version):
Jesus is the truth.
1. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)
2. Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
3. Assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus. (Eph. 4:21)
God’s word is truth.
4. The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever. (Ps. 119:160)
5. “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” (John 17:17)
6. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. (Eph. 1:13-14)
The truth will set you free.
7. “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth.
8. “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.” (John 14:16-17)
The Lord is near to those who call on him in truth.
9. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. (Psalm 145:18)
God leads us in his truth.
10. “Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. (Ps. 25:5)
Christians worship God in truth.
11. “God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John 4:24)
Christians are called to rightly handle the word of truth.
12. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)
Christians are called to cloth themselves with truth.
13. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness. (Eph. 6:14)
Christians are called to dwell on what is true.
14. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. (Ps. 51:6)
15. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Phil. 4:8)
Christians are called to speak the truth.
16. O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?
He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart. (Ps. 15:1-2)
17. Whoever speaks the truth gives honest evidence, but a false witness utters deceit. (Prov. 12:17)
18. Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. (Eph. 4:25)
Christians are called to walk in the truth.
19. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. (Ps. 86:11)
20. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. (1 John 1:6)
21. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. (3 John 1:4)
Christians are called to love in truth.
22. Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:18)
23. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (1 Cor. 13:4-6)
God sanctifies his children in the truth.
24. “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.” (John 16:13)
25. “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” (John 17:17)