Introduction: If you have a Permanent Russian Residence Permit, some of the benefits are: you can go in and out of Russia without any problem; you can dwell anywhere you want inside Russia and you can do any job you want without any questions. You even qualify for free medical insurance. Now, there are some laws you must obey if you want to keep this residence permit. You cannot be absent from Russia for more than 6 months or your residence permit will be revoked. You must obey ALL the laws of the Russian Federation. What does it mean to DWELL? To live, to reside, to abide, to occupy a place PERMANENTLY. So, as a Christian, where is your permanent residence?
Psalms 91:1, 9 – 13
1He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High; Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 9because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
***If I am going have my residence in the Most High’s kingdom, there has to be FOUR agreements that have to be met:
- I must agree personally with God and ALL His commandments “Amos 3:3 – Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?” (this means that you have to want to be here)
- I must agree to abide in the word of God “John 15:7 – If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.” (this means first, you have to know the law of the land and secondly, you have to obey the law of the land)
- I must agree to bear fruits “John 15:5 – I am the vine; you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (you must contribute to the society and not be a social parasite)
- I must agree not tempt the Lord your God. (In the debate between Satan and Jesus in the wilderness in Matthew 4, Satan quotes Psalms 91:11:12, and Jesus responds by quoting Deuteronomy 6:16. The Israelites here demanded a miracle from God and threatened to return to Egypt if He would not perform it. The temptation to put God to the test, to demand yet another miracle, is common to us today. Jesus reminds us that God is not subject to our rules or expectations, nor can we “box Him in” with our theology or reading of Scripture. Instead, we are called to submit our wills to His, and dwell in the secret place of the Most High.
***If all these requirements are met, then all the SEVEN unique blessings in Psalms 91 will follow.
7 Blessings that God gives to the person who chooses to dwell with God (Psalms 91:14–16)
(1) God will deliver you; (2) God will set you on high. (3) God will answer you when you call upon Him. (4) God will be with you in trouble. (5) God will deliver you and honor you. (6) God will satisfy you with long life. (7) God will show you His salvation.
Dwelling in the secret place of the Most High requires some responsibilities from your part; There is obedience expected of you. God is committed to covering the people who have made Him their dwelling place. In the midst of the present global catastrophic situation, nations rising against nations; kingdoms against kingdom; economic recession; inflation; fake news all around; false friends; betrayals, hatred etc., I believe there is a great need for us to seriously examine who or what we really trust in. Who or what gives us confidence to go on. What gives us peace. Who or what makes us feel safe. Do we really trust God for these things? Of course some might wrongly use this Psalm in a superstitious way, rejecting good judgment and other scriptures that need to be taken into consideration. But I think our bigger problem is seeking to find our safety and peace in things and people other than in God.
Conclusion: All who live a life of close communion with God are constantly safe under his wings protection and may therefore live in security and peace of mind at all times. The person who chooses God as his shelter will be protected by God from all evil. The promise is NOT the absence of danger, but of coming through all danger, unscathed, safe in God. There will never be a time, there will never be a place there will a circumstance where God’s love does not protect us. Romans 8:35-39.
The Secret Place of the Most High God is a place where you can experience the presence of God and find rest, peace, and comfort amid life’s challenges.